4-Inch Kiln-Dried Oak Wood Chunks for Smokers, Grills and More
“Size matters for smoking wood.” That was our mantra when we decided to add oak wood chunks to our family of firewood products. We looked around at the chunks on the market today and weren’t satisfied for one key reason: every chunk we found was too small! Most of them only had a 1-2-inch diameter, which wasn’t nearly large enough for our smoking needs.
So, instead of sitting around complaining, we did something about it.
Behold our creation: the 4-inch cooking chunk! Why 4 inches? It’s the perfect size for optimal performance and practicality. The 4×4-inch cubes have an ideal density for prolonged smokes. Yet, they’re still small enough to fit snugly in smokers, wood grills and more!
These wood chunks come in one of our favorite flavors: oak. We affectionately refer to oak as the universal smoking wood because it produces a mild, neutrally flavored smoke that pairs well with any meat, fish or veggies. You can also add a couple of these chunks to your Ooni Karu 16 or Bertello pizza oven for a delicious wood-fired pizza.
Best of all, these chunks come kiln-dried for optimal performance. Because the wood contains less than 20% moisture, its smoke won’t overwhelm the flavor of your food. Instead, it will imbue it with just the right amount of smoky taste. The drying process also rids the wood of all insects, mold and fungus, so you won’t have to worry about any of that nastiness.
Instead, you can get a resealable box of these pristine oak cooking chunks delivered right to your door with free two-day shipping nationwide. And for every oak chunk box we sell, we plant a new mighty oak in the forest. That’s just how we roll!
Benefits of Our Oak Smoking Chunks
- Universal Smoking Wood – Our oak wood chunks pair well with everything from meat and fish to veggies and wood-fired pizzas.
- Subtle Flavor – Oak won’t overpower your food; instead, it’ll add just the right amount of balanced smoky goodness.
- Low-Maintenance Smokes – The 4×4-inch chunks will smoke for hours so that you can do less smoke management.
- Perfect Fit – The small wood chunks fit in most smokers, charcoal grills and portable pizza ovens.
- Primed for Smoking – The dense kiln-dried wood burns slowly, so you don’t have to soak it before smoking!
- Purged of Pests – The kiln-drying process ensures each chunk comes out of the box without insects, mold or fungus.
- Sustainably Sourced – Every oak chunk we produce comes from forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) for responsible management practices.
What’s in the Oak Chunk Hot Box?
- Type of Wood – 100% pure oak wood
- Size of Pieces – 4 x 4-inch wood cubes
- Size of Box – 2900 cubic inches with a weight of approximately 35 pounds
- Type of Box – 100% recyclable and resealable cardboard container
- Shipping Details – Free two-day shipping anywhere in the United States
- Refund and Return Policy – All orders may be returned within 30 days of the date of purchase. For more details, please see our full refund and return policy.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our Oak Chunks for Smoking
What does oak smoke taste like?
Oak smoke has a moderate, smoky flavor that pairs well with everything. It’s a great wood for beginner smokers because it’s almost impossible to overuse.
What are oak cooking chunks used for?
Oak cooking chunks have a variety of uses. If you’re cooking with charcoal, a couple of cooking chunks on top of the coals act like “flavor grenades” by boosting the smoke flavor of whatever you’re cooking. Chunks can also be used in charcoal-fired pizza ovens like the Ooni Karu and Bertello wood-fired oven. You can add chunks to the charcoal base (or to wood fires) to create a bigger base of flavorful coals.
Do you need to soak oak cooking chunks?
You don’t need to soak your cooking chunks, even though they’re kiln-dried. Since 4-inch oak chunks are thick, they will burn slowly despite being extremely dry. Of course, there are cases where soaking chunks is beneficial. If you’re an expert smoker and prefer soaking your chunks, go for it! In our experience it isn’t necessary, but we’re not the final answer!
What wood pairs well with oak?
Oak is a versatile wood that pairs well with most other woods. We suggest pairing oak with cherry or hickory.
Can you use cooking chunks instead of charcoal?
Yes! Oak wood chunks burn for an extended period, so they can be used in place of charcoal if you’re good at controlling your fire.
Why do you kiln dry these oak wood chunks if they’re meant for smoking?
Dry chunks still burn for a long time, believe it or not! But the main reason we dry our cooking chunks is to kill any potential pests, insects, mold or fungus that can come in on raw wood material. Wood is an ingredient and should receive the same attention as any other component of your meal.
How big is a box of cooking chunks?
The Hot Box oak wood chunk box is 2900 cubic inches and weighs about 35 pounds. Since wood varies in density, the weight of each box slightly differs.
What are cooking chunks?
Cooking chunks are small, cube-shaped pieces of wood used for wood-fired cooking. The cubed shape of cooking chunks makes them take a while to burn. This means they create a large coal and give off smoke for a long time.
What types of cooking chunks does Hot Box offer?
We offer 4 x 4-inch cooking chunks in oak, hickory, sugar maple and cherry varieties.
Is your cooking chunk wood sustainably sourced?
Yes! All the wood we use for our cooking chunks (and all other Hot Box wood) comes from FSC-certified forests that are responsibly managed.